WINTER SALAD SERIES
Oven baked Sweet Potato on a bed of sautéed Brussel sprouts and Sustainable Sardines. Topped with sunflower seed pesto, black olives, goats feta and fresh parsley
Much of our inspiration behind our cooking is from Jacqueline Alwill and her ‘Brown Paper Bag Blog’. Her beautifully presented meals and recipes have an abundance of nutrients, incorporating all major food groups. She includes red and white meat, cheese and eggs within her recipes, demonstrating a balanced and sensible approach to wellness. We very much admire her cooking and frequently check her blog for updates – the recipe for the pesto that we’re about to post is adapted from her page.
Ingredients: Serves two as a main
-1/2 a small to medium sweet potato. Finely sliced lengthways
– 2 cups of brussel sprouts. Cut in half
– 1/4 cup of green peas (we use organic frozen)
– 1 tin of sustainable sardines in olive oil
– 1/4 goats feta
– 1/2 cup of black olives
– 1/4-1/3 cup of Pesto (Click here for Brown Paper Bag recipe)
– Fresh Parsley
-Pepper to taste
– Himalayan salt to taste
This recipe is very basic! It’ll take you around 20 minutes to prepare so very convenient for a mid week meal
1. Place your finely sliced sweet potato on a tray. Brush with a tad of olive oil, salt and pepper. Back in oven set at 180 degrees for about 20 minutes.
2. Whilst sweet potato is in the oven, sauté your brussel sprouts and peas in a wok on high heat in a bit of coconut oil (or water). Keep sautéing till the brussels begin to soften and possibly turn a little brown at the edges. Once ready mix through the black olives and evenly distribute onto two plates.
3. The sweet potato should be ready now, remove from oven and delicately layer onto the greens.
4. With your tinned sardines, evenly halve and coarsely break over the potato.
5. Top with the pesto, goats feta and fresh parsley
6. A dash of olive oil and you’re good to go!