WINTER WARMER SERIES
We have one month off uni and boy have we hit holiday mode.
Quick 5am workouts at home before a quick breakfast and then quickly out the door to quickly get to uni by 8 am is thankfully behind us, for one month at least. Our mornings now consist of a slightly longer sleep in, a longer yoga session or workout and a slower, more relaxing breakfast.
We don’t only have more time for relaxing mornings, now we can also cook a wholesome lunch at home. Look, this may not seem all that exciting for some but for uni students who have spent three months eating packed quinoa salads out of glass containers, home lunches are kind of a big deal.
Today for lunch we opted for our usual of quinoa, spinach, roasted root vegetables and poached chicken. However seeing as today was a ‘home lunch’ (yes!), we whipped up a broccoli and pea puree to dollop on top.
This green puree is so versatile. You can have it as a side to meal like how we’ve done today, you can smear it on paleo toast, have it as a snack mixed with a handful of nuts or eat it as a soup by adding a little more bone broth. Options are endless!
– 2 heads of broccoli
– The stalks of one bunch of kale
– 1 leek
– 1 cup of frozen peas
– 2-3 cups of beef or chicken bone broth. we used homemade 48hr beef broth.
– 1/2 small onion
– 2 cloves of crushed garlic
– 1 tsp of cumin
– 1 bay leaf
– 1 tsp of turmeric
– 1/2 teaspoon of himalayan salt
– Pepper to taste
– 1/2 – 1 tbsp of coconut oil (for sautéing leek)
1. Heat coconut oil in a pan. Once warm, sauté the onion and garlic until tender.
2. Dice the leek and add to the pan. Stir through for a few minutes, then add the spices and a dash of water.
3. Saute until leek is tender.
4. Add the broccoli, peas and kale stalks and thoroughly mix with the leek for a few minutes.
5. Add your broth, salt, pepper and bay leaf and bring to a gentle boil (basically simmer)
6. Lower the heat and cover for about 20 minutes)
7. Once the kale stalks are tender-ish, remove the puree from the pot and add to a blender. Pulse on high until smooth.
M + S x