As many of you would have noticed – we have changed our name to THYMESTWO. We eventually would like to expand our blog into something a bit more exciting in the future so we gathered that a new look would be a perfect start. We’re still keeping avocadotimestwo as our web address (partially because we still love the name but mostly because we’re severely handicapped when is comes to technology) but thymestwo is the name we will go by on our instagram. All change is good change right?
Let us know what you think! Would love to hear some feedback
So in-between work, uni and yoga, we’ve been spending a bit of time in the kitchen. In an attempt to spice up our breaky boards (not literally ‘spice’ – chilli really doesn’t agree with our taste buds!), we came up with a light savoury green paste that goes perfectly with sliced avocado. We wanted to call it a pesto but to be honest it really doesn’t do traditional pesto any justice what so ever so we’re keeping it to a ‘spread’.
This recipe is extremely easy to throw together and is a tremendous way to sneak in some extra greens in the morning. If you’re adding sliced avocado which we highly recommend that you do then you’re not only getting in extra greens, but you’re also doubling up on your omega-3’s with the added olive oil and sunflower seeds. Adding eggs would also be fabulous as protein (Eggs and kale), complex carbs (wholemeal spelt) and healthy oils (avocado, sunflower seeds, eggs and olive oil) perfectly balance each other to sustain you with long lasting energy.
Please feel free to add more or less of any of the ingredients to suit our own taste buds. We personally didn’t want to make it too oily, as we were looking for a thicker ‘paste like’ consistency. But hey, everyone is different so give it a go and tweak it if need be. Oh and we would love to see your creations on instagram – tag us @thymes.two so we can view your breaky boards!
– One small broccoli head (organic if possible)
– 1.5 cups of tuscan kale (or regular kale- we just used up the kale that was left over in the fridge)
– A cup of fresh basil leaves
– 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds*
– 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil*
– 1/3 cup of water*
– A generous pinch of himalayan salt
– A generous pinch of dried thyme
– Pepper (to taste)
1. Thoroughly wash the kale, broccoli and basil leaves.
2. In a food processor, first blend the broccoli and kale until you reach the consistency you want. (still a bit chunky)
3. Add the remaining ingredients
4. We added water to the mixture to help it hold together but you could just add my olive oil.
5. Once you have blended the ingredients to the consistency you want, enjoy on some toasted spelt loaf with sliced avocado and tomato, or with poached eggs!
If you love your pesto (doesn’t everyone..?) feel free to have a look at our ‘Creamy pesto’ in our recipe tab! Our creamy pesto is also fabulous on toast and baked fish.
Stay Green Guys!
*If you wanted to create more of a typical ‘pesto’ taste you could add extra olive oil/reduce the water and replace the sunflower seeds with pine nuts.
M + S xx