FLU FIGHTING POWER PORRIDGE
This porridge is a fabulous. I absolutely love it. Especially recently when I’ve been working a lot and starting to feel the strain on my body and mind! Anyone working in retail during this christmas lead up will most definitely know what I mean…I hate customers.
The ginger, turmeric and macrobiotic salt provide you with immune boosting properties. The salt is also beneficial in balancing your electrolytes This is extremely important if you’re feeling dehydrated. Adding carrot to your morning breakfasts is also a great way to add in some veggies! Finally, topping your bowl with the anti-bacterial nature of local raw honey as well as the protein loaded activated nuts and hemp seeds will fuel you for a few hours.
Now do you see how this is a flu fighting power porridge?!
I’m obsessed – I hope you become obsessed too
– 1/2 cup of organic oats or gluten free oats if intolerant
– 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or any other milk of choice)
– 1/2- 1 cup of water
-1 grated carrot
– 1.5 tsp of grated ginger
-1.5 tsp of grated turmeric
-1/2 – 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
– 1 peppercorn
– 1 green cardamon pod (optional)
-1 tbsp of organic sultanas
-1 small handful of activated nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts)
-1 tsp of pepita seeds
-1 tsp of hemp seeds
– 1/2- 1 tsp of raw or local organic honey (omit it vegan)
- Place all the ingredients except the water, carrot and the toppings into a small bowl and let it soak for around 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, transfer the spicy oat mix and add half a cup of water. Cook on low heat for about 5 to town minutes.
- Next add the carrot and mix throughly, if you find the mixture is a little too dry for your liking, add a little more water. Cook to desired consistency. The longer you cook it the better!
- Remove form heat, add to a cute bowl and top with desired toppings. In my opinion, activated nuts, seeds and honey go super well. The honey has anti-bacterial proprieties (if using raw, local honey) and the nuts + seeds not only provide you with that desired crunch but also contain beneficial protein and healthy lipids that will help keep you feeling satiated.
- Enjoy this lovely porridge when you have the time to sit and relax with a warm tea and a book. It’s the best way to begin the day if you’re feeling a little worn out (..me!)