As we are now in Autumn.. pasta dishes are going to be enjoyed on a more regular basis, therefore we will be posting some super easy sauce and pasta combos to get rid of those boring pasta dishes that everyones used to having! This is our take on ‘Creamy’ Mushroom and Chicken Pasta.
We always try and cook with 100% organic ingredients.
Ingredients: Serves TWO as a main
Organic Spelt Penne Pasta (around 1 cup uncooked) – We use spelt as we are able to tolerate this grain best (gluten intolerance issues… don’t ask)
Two Organic small Chicken Breasts
Mushrooms (as many as you can get your hands on) – We used flat, button and shiitake
One Organic Broccoli head
One small Organic Zucchini
Fresh Organic Spinach (One handful)
Fresh Ricotta (3 tablespoons)
One Onion Shallot
One clove of Garlic
Pepper (to taste)
Himalayan Salt (to taste)
Coconut oil (one heaped teaspoon)
1) Cut up chicken breasts into small cubed pieces
2) Wash all the vegetables ‘obsessively’ well!
3) Chop up mushrooms and zucchini into quarterly pieces.
4) Break apart broccoli head and use your hands to break (‘shred’) into smaller pieces
5) Finely shop the onion, garlic and two basil leaves
6) With the coconut oil, place onion, garlic and basil onto a large deep frying pan
7) Sauté until golden and add a splash of white wine
8) Combine the mushrooms, zucchini and ‘shredded’ broccoli to the pan and salute until golden
9) Add a few more dashes of white wine and three tablespoons of ricotta
10) Mix well, turn down the heat and simmer with lid on. Keep as eye on the sauce and If you find it becomes a little dry add a few splashes of water
11) Pop two pots of water (one for the pasta and one for the chicken) on the stove and bring both to boil
12) Once pots are boiling, add the chicken and poach for around 4-6 minutes (this will vary on how large the chicken pieces are). Add the pasta to the other pot and cook for around 10 mins or less. We like our pasta ‘al dente‘ thus we leave it coking for less time.
13) Back to the sauce, add some seasoning (pepper and salt to taste).
14) Once pasta and chicken are ready, combine all to the creamy mushrooms pan and mix well.
15) Last ingredient to add is the fresh spinach
15) Now its ready to serve! Top with some fresh basil and a little more seasoning and voila!
** Tip; Best enjoyed with a glass of red wine… Just saying