Now as much as we love going out for delicious meals, home cooking is also on our ‘favourite things to do’ list. Being able to cook whatever fancies our taste buds right there and then, whether it be boiled eggs on toast or a nutritious ‘rainbow bowl’ for dinner, is simply a sensationally satisfying feeling.
As we have quite ‘busyish’ lives, whipping up a healthy and super tasty meal does not take us long at all, as who needs to spend hours in the kitchen to produce something amazing…?
Therefore, our well balanced meals comprise of our favourite reoccurring ingredients prepared differently depending on the occasion, almost always involving protein, vegetables and grains.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Here are a few breakfasts/dinners that we eat on quite a regular basis..
Our top picks for Breakfast
– Sliced avocado, smoked salmon and thinly sliced tomato on gluten free bread *, topped with our dukkah or pumpkin seeds. Seems to be our first pick if we want something quick and when too hungry to cook something that takes longer than 5 mins…
– Two boiled eggs, sliced avocado on gluten free bread, also topped with our dukkah. Such a soul-satisfying post ‘hot yoga’ feed.
– Cinnamon oats cooked on the stove, with organic greek yogurt *, fresh banana, frozen blueberries heated in the microwave and sprinkled with almonds and shredded coconut. Perfect on a cold winter’s morning.
– Two broken up banana/raspberry oat cookies (recipe found on Ashlyn Lincoln’s blog) topped with organic greek yogurt, fresh fruit (banana and berries), nuts and shredded coconut.
– Atlantic Salmon fillet, accompanied with a selection of roasted and fresh veggies (whatever we have in the fridge), or enjoyed with zucchini or carrot noodles topped with an avocado/pea/basil mash. Simple, yet utterly delicious
– Poached chicken mixed with quinoa, lentils, all sorts of veg, fresh tomato, spinach, avocado, hummus or organic yogurt . Presented in a bowl, as food always tastes better in bowls…
– What we like to call our ‘rainbow’ or ‘budda’ bowl. Involves a selection of raw/roasted veggies (grated carrot and zucchini, raw mushrooms, steamed or roasted pumpkin/brussel sprouts etc), quinoa or another type or grain, lentils, peas, grilled haloumi (absolute fav), boiled eggs or poached chicken, finished with a dollop of organic greek yogurt or hummus
– Our very own VegieBar ‘house salad with tempeh’. Our go to meal at VegieBar is always their house salad, therefore we try and recreate it at home. Simply involves raw and cooked vegetables of allllll sorts, pan fried tempeh, drizzled all over with tahini mmmm yummo!
– Weekends are for devouring homemade pizzas. All of the veggies in the fridge, with either poached chicken or shredded turkey, are precisely placed on gluten free base that is smothered in hummus or organic tomato base sauce. Always topped with fresh avocado, bocconcini cheese, olives, raw mushrooms and fresh basil. You can never go wrong with a pizza, never, ever.
* We choose to buy ‘PureBred Bakery’ multigrain farmhouse loaf. Its gluten and wheat free, our perfect kind of bread.
* Our yogurt is the ‘Five:am’ greek style organic yogurt, amazingly delicious.
Love M + S